Limestone County Archives
Alabama Veterans Museum & Archives
About Limestone County Archives
The Limestone County Archives offers a collection of records including birth and death records, court and land records, photos, and community items for viewing available to the public Monday through Friday from 8:00AM-4:30PM.
Genealogist are welcome to enjoy the collection of platte records, family photos, birth and death records.
Train enthusiast will love this restored structure that once served at the passenger depot for the L&N railroad.
Occasionally, the archives is also host to unique exhibits.
Those wishing to conduct research should schedule an appointment: 256-233-6404
102 West Washington Street Athens, AL
About Alabama Veterans Museum
The Alabama Veterans Museum and Archives presents a collection of war memorabilia alongside items found on the home front with carefully curated tales of the soldiers and families that donated the items.
The archives offers records of service men and women from the greater Limestone County community as well as a collection of reference items.
Train enthusiast will love this freight depot that has been repurposed to serve and honor the memories of our troops from the Revolutionary War to the present.
Opened to the public free (donation welcome), Monday through Friday from 9:00AM-3:00PM.
For more information: 256-771-7578
100 West Pryor Street Athens, AL
About Judge Horton Jr. Monument
Judge James Horton Jr., a Limestone Countian, was appointed Appellate Judge to re-hear the infamous trial of the Scottsboro Boys.
The retrial and his historic decision rocked the nation from the third story courtroom of the Limestone County Courthouse.
A bronze statue in honor of Judge James E Horton Jr. has been erected alongside a historic marker on the north side of the courthouse.
North Jefferson Entrance of Limestone County Courthouse
About Ardmore Veterans Monument
The Ardmore Veterans Monument honors the service and sacrifice of Ardmore's veterans. The community of Ardmore - 2 cities, 2 states, 4 counties - has erected monuments and flags in this small garden spot adjacent to the railroad on 1st Avenue.
1st Avenue Ardmore, AL
Houston Memorial Library and Museum
About Houston Memorial Library
The Houston Memorial Library and Museum served as the home of Alabama Governor George S. Houston who also served as U.S. House of Representative and Congressman.
George S. Houston was known for his opposition to secession, as well as, his opposition of expanding slavery into newly captured territories.
This unusual stance cost him elections, but eventually won him the gubernatorial seat to lead Alabama out of Reconstruction.
Presently under renovations, hours of operation vary.
Please call ahead to determine availability: (256) 233-8770
101 North Houston Street Athens, AL
Mooresville Historic Post Office
About Mooresville Historic Post oFfice
The Mooresville Post Office is the oldest in the state of Alabama and features call boxes built prior to the American Civil War.
The tiny post office is open Monday through Saturday from 8:00AM-10:00AM.
24995 LAUDERDALE ST MOORESVILLE, AL
Confederate Soldier Circle at Athens City Cemetery
About the Confederate Soldier Circle
The Italian-carved sculpture of a Confederate soldier was originally slated for the courthouse lawn but his downturned head and solemn demeanor cost him the position.
This statue was relocated to the Confederate Soldier Circle in the Athens Cemetery on Hobbs Street where he stands guard over the fallen soldiers.
The Confederate Circle is located in the historic western portion of the cemetery.
Athens City Cemetery Hobbs Street
Athens State University New Testament Chapel
About the New Testament Chapel
Located on the second floor of Founder's Hall, the New Testament Chapel features Poplar Wood carvings highlighting Mark, Luke, Matthew and John - four apostles that are a featured theme to the historic college.
Former Alumni Mrs. Meadows carefully accumulated the Poplar planks over many years and had the carved before gifting them to Athens State College (now University).
Access may be restricted due to events occurring in the room. To schedule a group tour, please contact Athens State Archives at 256-233-8100
Founders Hall 300 North Beaty Street Athens, AL
Historic Trinity Cistern
About Trinity Cistern
This historic cistern once provided water for Trinity School, an all African-American school created after the Civil War.
Alongside the cistern is a historical marker with history of the land where it stands and the early history of Trinity High School.
The cistern rest on the northside of the parking lot near West Market Street of the Limestone County Courthouse Annex.
Limestone County Courthouse Annex West Market Street Athens, AL
Grave of Patti Malone
About Patti Malone
Patti Malone was born into slavery at The Cedars in Athens, Alabama. She attended Trinity School and Fisk University. During her tenure at Fisk, Patti joined the acclaimed Fisk Jubilee Singers and travelled the world entertaining dignitaries and heads of state.
Her grave is located in the Hines-Hobbs Cemetery.
Corner of West Hines and Hines streets
Saturn B Rocket & Veterans Monuments
About Saturn B Rocket & Veterans Monuments at I-65 Ardmore Welcome center
Nestled along I-65 and backed by Upper Elkton Road is the Alabama Welcome Center at Ardmore/Elkmont.
Towering over the welcome center is the Saturn 1B Rocket - a nod to the National Space and Aeronautics Agency's Apollo program. This lesser known vehicle of the program ferried men into space five times before being replaced by the better known Saturn V.
In the shadow of the giant Saturn 1B rest the monuments to Vietnam, Korea, and World War II.
28232 Upper Elkton Road Elkmont,AL
Confederate Monument Limestone County Lawn
About the Confederate Monument on the Lawn of the Limestone County Courthouse
The Confederate Monument on the lawn of the Limestone County Courthouse is actually the second attempt to honor those who fought during the Civil War. The original sculpture, now found in the Athens City Cemetery Confederate Ring, looked down-trodden and was deemed inappropriate to represent those who served.
An interesting point of trivia about this monument is that it's Bill of Lading went down on the ill-fated Titanic trapping it in the New York shipyards until a new one could be shipped from Italy.
Corner of West Market & South Marion Streets
Historic Elkmont Alabama
About Historic elkmont
Historic Elkmont is the site of the Civil War Battle of Sulphur Creek Trestle. It's the central point for the Richard Martin Trails to Trail.
Step inside the historic train depot and enjoy the museum and library. Take a stroll around town and enjoy the boutiques, antique shops and eateries including the internationally acclaimed Belle Chevre.
Upper Fort Hampton and Sandlin Road Elkmont, Alabama
Historic Mooresville Alabama
About Historic Mooresville
Mooresville Alabama is older than the State of Alabama itself. It was recognized on November 16, 1818 and is marking its 200th year of incorporation.
The small southern Limestone County community has maintained its small-town draw with not even 60 people in residence. Some might recognize the house from Disney's Tom and Huck that filmed on location amid the historic structures in the 1990's.
The town is dotted with small business, many occupying historic structures. The original Post Office is still in operation Monday through Saturday from 8:00AM-10:00AM.
Professional photography requires permit. Several venues are available for events.
For more information MooresvilleAL.com
i-565 Exit 2 - South on Mooresville Road
About Woodbury bridge
Woodbury Bridge sits on the sit of Trinity-Fort Henderson Complex on Allyn Street. The bridge was erected in 1930 by Mr. McKissack, a bridge builder and was designed by Will Alyce Mason in 1929.
The bridge was built to allow teachers to cross the moat that was once part of Fort Henderson, an earthenworks fort of the Civil War where Trinity High School was built.
Allyn Street at the Trinity Complex
Trinity- Fort Henderson Complex
About Trinity-Fort Henderson Complex
The Trinity-Fort Henderson Complex is anchored by the former Trinity High School. One of the first educational institutions in the Tennessee Valley opened to educate the children of freed slaves following the Civil War, the school continued service until 1970 when it closed due to desegregation.
The school was built upon the land where Fort Henderson once stood. Fort Henderson was an earthenwork fort with a moat. There is hope to reconstruct a portion of this old fort upon the site in the future.
Visitors will also find a monument to Mary Perkins on the grounds. Miss Perkins was a northern missionary who came in 1900 and taught at Trinity for 40 years. She was beloved by student and community and had a log cabin built for her on campus. She was cremated at her death and her ashes were scattered on the grounds of her beloved school.
On the Allyn Street side of the complex, the Woodbury Bridge still crosses the moat.
Trinity Circle Athens AL
Big Spring Memorial Park
About Big Spring Memorial Park
Big Spring Memorial Park in the historic Beaty District of Athens, is a turning point in history for the community. In 1808, Mr, Craig and his two sons stopped to rest on a hill overlooking the pond while hunting. They thought they might stay the night overlooking the peaceful waters of the wilderness country - that was, until large bands of Native American's started to frequent the waters. Since the Craigs were encroaching on tribal lands to hunt, they decided to move west towards more settled areas.
This space now serves the community as a park with tennis courts, pavilion, playground and feathered friends to feed and watch. Occasional events are also held in the park thorughout the year.
A historic marker is located on North Beaty Street featuring the history of the community.
In the parking lot island, two monuments will be found honoring the settlers of Limestone County and those who fought in World War I and World War II.
The Pavilion is dedicated to the WPA - Works Project Administrations - a New Deal Era project that helped return men to work by building infrastructure and municipal projects.
North Beaty Street Athens, AL
Lucy's Branch Historic Marker
About Lucy's Branch
Lucy's Branch is situated in southern Limestone County near the Tennessee River. Named for Lucy Bedingfield, a daughter of a slave and a Cherokee Indian, Lucy was born during the Indian Removal Act. Many believe her status as a slave is what allowed her to escape the forced marches of the Trail of Tears her paternal family underwent.
Lucy married a former slave, Meridith Bedingfield and they raised a family of nine children on 170 acres of farmland near the Little Elk Community. Lucy's love of storytelling centralized her role within the community. Shae became a source for advice and news in the burgeoning community that came to bear her name, Lucy's Branch.
Snake Road Athens, Alabama
Donnell House Museum
About The donnell house
This historic of Reverend Robert Donnell, a traveling circuit preacher of the Presbyterian Church, settled his family in this home atop a knoll in southern Athens.
During the Civil War, it served as a bivouac for Union troops. Stories tell of the passing of the young Donnell daughter to the raucous rendition of "Yankee Doodle Dandy" sung by Union Troops.
Open by appointment for guided tours and available for special bookings. by calling 256-232-0743
601 South Clinton Street Athens, AL
College Inn/Newby Gulf Station Museum
About the College inn/Newby Gulf
The College Inn and Newby Gulf Station used to sit on the corner of Pryor Street and Clinton Street (formerly U.S. Highway 31). Constructed in 1920, it was Athens' "Hot Spot". It's acquired by Cloyde Mason Newby Jr. in 1947.
The two buildings, representative of the Prairie Style of architecture, were eventually relocated to East Street and restored. The College Inn is now a small museum and the Gulf Station serves as the headquarters for Keep Athens-Limestone Beautiful.
Open by appointment 256-233-8728
125 East Street Athens, Alabama
Copyright © 2016-2022
100 N. Beaty Street
Athens, Alabama 35611